| Shri Siddhagiri Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Kolhapur-II: An Overview|
One of the major tasks of the KVK is to search for suitable solutions for solving the problems faced by the farmers in managing crops, etc. The problem may be either non-suitability of technology or in compatibility with a farming situation. The researcher has to find a way out to reduce the level of risk in the adoption of new techniques and make it a part of the existing farming environment. The solution should satisfy the farmer and improve his decision making ability for adopting a new technology / practice. KVK has organized several on-farm research activities for assessing and refining technologies suitable to a given micro-farming situation.
- Encouraging farming community for increasing productivity, profitability leading to sustainable growth of agriculture though resource and knowledge centre in the district for agricultural technologies.
- Farmer-centric growth in agriculture and allied sectors through application of appropriate technologies in specific agro-ecosystem perspective.
Application of technology/products through assessment, refinement and demonstration for
adoption. To achieve the mandate effectively, the following activities are envisaged for each KVK:
- On-farm testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems
- Frontline demonstrations to establish its production potentials on the farmers fields.
- Training of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies.
- Work as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district.
- Produce and make available technological products like seed, planting material, bio agents, young ones of livestock etc to the farmers
- Organize extension activities to create awareness about improved agricultural technologies to facilitate fast diffusion and adoption of technologies in agriculture and allied sectors.
- To plan and conduct survey of the operational area through Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) methods and characterize physical and human resources with special reference to identifying the technological and training needs of the farming community.
- To compile all relevant recommendations/ packages of practices for the district to be meaningfully utilized in the training programmes and the follow up extension activities.
- To plan and conduct production oriented and need-based short and long duration training courses both on the campus as well as in the villages for various target groups with priority on the resource poor sections.
- To Organize Farm Science Clubs/Farmer institution in order to inculcate in the younger generations a specific temper and an interest on agriculture and allied sciences and for scientific farming through supervised individual and group projects.
- To develop and maintain the campus farms and demonstrations units on scientific lines as the facilities for providing work experience to the trainees, dissemination of the latest technologies and also as a means to achieve financial sustainability in due course of time.
- To provide practical training facilities of the Kendra to the teachers and the students of vocational agriculture.
- To provide added training facilities of the area for home making and nutrition education for rural communities and gradually enlarging the training facilities to encompass other important area such as home/rural crafts and cottage industries with the requirements of the integrated rural development in collaboration with the concerned organizations.
- To implement all such schemes of the ICAR and other related organizations which intend to strengthen the training and technology dissemination programmes as well as follow-up extension activities of the Kendra.
- To undertake on-farm testing of the technologies developed by the National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) in agriculture and allied fields for their suitability and identifying constrains.
- To demonstrate the potentialities of various technologies recommend for adoption in maximizing yield per unit time and area under different resource conditions.
Prority thrust areas:|
- Promotion of Soil Health Management.
- Introduction and promotion of Organic farming.
- Adoption of Integrated Nutrient Management to maintain the fertility status of soil.
- Promotion of Vermicomposting.
- Promotion of improved varieties of major agronomical crops.
- Promotion of Drip Irrigation in Sugarcane
- Promotion of Desi Seed and Seed Village concept.
- Promotion of entrepreneurs in seed production.
- Use of IPM and IDM technologies to increase productivity of the crops.
- Awareness about importance of bio-agents, bio-pesticide, botanicals and allelo-chemicals for pest management.
- Feed and Fodder Management.
- Disease management of animals.
- Entrepreneurship development of rural youth through Dairy, Goatry and poultry farming
- Promotion of Value addition of fruits, vegetables, Cereals & minor Millets.
- To develop packaging, labeling& marketing skill among SHG and facilitating them for FSSAI Licensing.
- Promotion of group approach & strengthening of group farming (FPO/FO/FC etc.).
- Promotion and use of ICT to increase the access to authorized information sources for problem solving.
- Entrepreneurship development of rural youth for income centric agriculture.